Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Murphy first started bringing up yellow foamish fluid approximately

Customer Question

Murphy first started bringing up yellow foamish fluid approximately 3 weeks ago. This was before we switched him to raw meat from the local farm shop (Natural Instinct) prior to this he was being fed on Royal Canin dried kibbles. The pattern has been sick for approx 3 days in a row but only in the night. He seemed happy in himself and was eating normal but perhaps a little slower. It stopped for a few days and restarted again over the past couple of weeks. Since then he has had very runny stools and most recently very watery stools so we stopped the raw meat and put him on plain chicken and boiled rice. He was sick again last night, yellow fluid but today he has been sick numerous times throughout the day and evening and this time it is proper vomiting, yellow, brownish colour with food in it. His behaviour has changed, he first wanted cuddles tonight and now he just wants to sit in a dark room in the Conservatory, highly unusual for him. He did not want to walk much today either, head drooping a bit, growling at us if we approach him, and very quiet. He has been drinking some water but has not ate any food today.
My husband has booked an appt with the vet for Weds afternoon as no appts available for tomorrow unless an emergency. What do you think could be wrong with Murphy and what do you advise we do to help him over the next 24 hours. Thank you, Linda
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How many hours has it been since the last time he vomited?
2- How much does he weigh?
3- Did he get into anything?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

5 minutes ago he vomited and regularly throughout the night, he hid in the dark conservatory in a corner all night.

He weighs about 22kg

Not aware he got into anything.....

He is growling at us now and not really moving around much.

My husband is about to take him to the vet for an emergency appt.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still waiting for your second reply since responding to your second lot of questions this morning.

Murphy is continuously vomiting green stuff now. Not well at all and struggling to drink water. Vet gave us a sachet to add to his water to stop dehydration but he hasn't drunk it since putting it in his bowl this morning. He is drooling a lot now too.

The vet did blood tests this morning and we are going back to get the results tomorrow morning at 9am. He thinks it could be Pancreatitis Thank you, Linda

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Linda, I am sorry for the delay in response. I was under the impression you were not coming back after learning your husband was taking him to ER vet after 7 hours of my information request, for this reason I opted out. I would be glad to further assist you if you would like to continue. I will need a little more information.

1- Did the vet do any imaging like xrays or ultrasound?
2- Is he currently on any medications at home? If so, what are they?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He is in the vet hospital. He has had an xray and results came back as clear. Anti sickness drugs did not prevent him from vomiting..

He is having further tests today as he has not been responding well to treatment.

They have confirmed Pancreaitis and are searching for other blockages or otherwise. Temperature has been dropping too. Sorry to rush the response but I am on my way back to vet hospital now for an update on his progress. Thank you, Linda

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Fair enough Linda. Best of Luck.