Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hello, I have a 4 yr old Labradoodle and she has been acting

I have a 4 yr old Labradoodle and she has been acting very strangely since 3 pm today. She has been to the toilet 3 times, once normal, once runny and now poo'd out what looks like some pants, that she has eaten. She has been restless and stretching, not eaten her food and hope she has excreated whatever she has eaten.
My wife noticed she ate a load of grass and leaves earlier.
In the last hour since pooing the pants she is panting very heavily and not interested in drinking water. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did you know she had eaten the pants?
2- Is it fair to say she vomited all of the pants or is there a part missing?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She has poo'd out what seems to be pants in her last stool.

Not sure if all the pants are out.

She wags her tail when talked to but she is standing fairly motionless with her head pointing down

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Is she vomiting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No vomiting. Was sick about 6 hrs ago but not since

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Tim, Tilly's behavior is consistent with a possible obstruction; very likely she still has some of the pants in her gastrointestinal tract. If she does have an obstruction you are very limited as to what you can do at home, she may require surgery. To determine if she does have an obstruction she will need to have xrays with contrast material (barium). If you have access to ER vet I would have her checked tonight. You see, if there is an obstruction the pressure exerted in the intestines by the obstruction will cause damage to that area; the longer it goes untreated the tissue will die (necrosis) requiring more invasive treatment and a worst prognosis. For this reason it is best to not wait. If you do not have access to ER vet this is what you can do until she is seen in the morning by family veterinarian:

1- Hold the food and water for the next 4-6 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
2- Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.
3- After 4-6 hours offer water and wait 1/2 hours. If no vomiting offer her a bland diet of rice and boiled boneless chicken.
4- Follow up in the morning with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter