Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my dog seems to be slightly constipated what over the counter

Customer Question

my dog seems to be slightly constipated what over the counter treatments can be used
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, the key to constipation is adequate hydration. This is what you can do:

1- Get him to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth.
2- Add 1-2 tablespoon of canned pumpkin to his food. Increasing fiber in the diet helps with regularity.
3- As a stool softener you can give 1/2 teaspoon of Miralax every 24 hours or Mineral oil 2 to 3 teaspoon every 12 hours. You can find these over the counter in any pharmacy.
4- You can also give milk as a stool softener; normally it causes diarrhea but in cases of constipation will act as a stool softener.
5- If he does not have a bowel movement within 12 hours of doing the above have him checked by a veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter