Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Hi, I have a Labrador that has delivered 2 puppies but

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Labrador bitch that has delivered 2 puppies but we are now nearly 4 hours since the last one. She just got up and had a drink, went for a walk in the garden and she looks fine. I can feel movement from her tummy from what I believe to be additional puppies, but no contractions. The 2 puppies are feeding and she seems really relaxed, should I be getting concerned? Her sister was every 45 mins when she had her puppies, so this seems to be a long time between delivery? Appreciate your insight
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Bella.

Rebecca :

You are correct, usually puppies come every 30 to 45 minutes, once labor begins.

Rebecca :

My name is***** am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

It is possible she is done, and she is only having 2 puppies.

Rebecca :

The movement you feel could be her uterus contracting down, after the last pup is delivered.

Rebecca :

The only way to know for sure if there are any more puppies would be an Xray.

Rebecca :

Very rarely, a bitch will have one or two pups, go out of labor, and then have more as long as 24 hours later.

Rebecca :

I hope you can see what I am writing!

Rebecca :

I am not seeing responses from you.

JACUSTOMER-qs1xv9io- : Yes I can thank you
Rebecca :

If she is eating and drinking and relaxed, she does not sound like she is in danger.

Rebecca :

Check her gums; they should be a normal bright pink color.

JACUSTOMER-qs1xv9io- : Yes that is my opinion - almost too relaxed!
Rebecca :

She may be done.

JACUSTOMER-qs1xv9io- : ok will do now but her eyes are bright and she responds well to me, I just can't believe that for all that size we have only 2 pups!! I
Rebecca :

You really can't distinguish by feeling her abdomen movements of her intestines from normal post whelping uterine contractions from another puppy, or at least I can't!

Rebecca :

You could put on a sterile glove and feel for a puppy in the birth canal, but she would probably not act so relaxed if a puppy was in the birth canal.

Rebecca :

I have seen dogs really huge only have 1 puppy!

Rebecca :

So I would monitor her for any signs of stress or contractions. If nothing happens by tomorrow, you could have an Xray to be sure there are no more puppies.

Rebecca :

If she eats, if her gums are pink, she is not in distress.

JACUSTOMER-qs1xv9io- : well your 29 years of knowledge is much appreciated!
Rebecca :

You are welcome!

Rebecca :

Is there anything else I can help with or answer?

Rebecca :

I will be checking back to see how she is tomorrow.

JACUSTOMER-qs1xv9io- : gums are looking ok, her tongue is less pink. Bizarrely I checked it last night and compared to her sisters and it was very bright so now it's noticeably paler.
Rebecca :

Continue to compare it to her sister.

Rebecca :

But if her gums are as pink as her sister, she is probably OK.

Rebecca :

But that could be an early sign of stress, if her tongue is pale.

JACUSTOMER-qs1xv9io- : Ok I will keep checking and try her on a biscuit and then see what we get.
JACUSTOMER-qs1xv9io- : thank you
Rebecca :

You are welcome!

Rebecca :

Kindly consider rating my answer, but only when all your questions have been answered.

Rebecca :

I will check back; hope to hear good news.

JACUSTOMER-qs1xv9io- : Yes me too! I just checked her and she was shivering a little but has just come in from the cold. Before she went out she wasn't, so am I right in just her adjusting to the change in temp?
Rebecca :

I would take her temperature if you can. Shivering could be from the cold, and then she should stop in a few moments. But shivering, like a pale tongue, could be an early sign of distress.

Rebecca :

Normal rectal temp right now should be 99 to 101F.

JACUSTOMER-qs1xv9io- : Thanks, ***** ***** go check on her again now and then make a call as to how distressed she may be
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Gums are identical to her sister and even in the few mins I was away they are now pinker, and she has stopped shivering....
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Great!
I will be online a few more hours, if you have any more questions.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry went I went back in she had just delivered but unfortunately it is dead...should I just remove it from her?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
So sorry to hear that!
Yes, I would just take it away.
So she may (or may not) still have some puppies to go. Let me know how she is doing.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Rebecca, she seems to be doing well. I guess we are just going to have to sit tight and play the waiting game to see if we get any more. Is the fact that she is an old girl anything of consequence in the loss of the 3rd puppy? Thank you again kev
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Kev,
It is not unusual to lose a puppy, no matter what the age of the mother.
She is at the upper limit of when I would continue to breed her, however.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Rebecca, she was a cheeky bitch, excusing the pun, we had no intention of being in this situation! I think we might have a few more to come, I hope I'm not abusing your time but as you asked, I kept you posted and apologies if I gave asked too many questions. Kev
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
No, not at all!
Hope she is done, or at least no more dead puppies.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think we are all done, so have ended up with 2 great pups. Thanks again regs kev
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Enjoy them! Thank you for the update.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Rebecca, so the next morning, whilst she was completely settled we weren't convinced all was done. Took her to our local vet and X-ray revealed 4 more pups. Oxytocin didn't work so ended up with a c-section! Still have 2 beautiful pups and Bella is safe.
Kev
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Oh, no! A C section, at her age! Glad she is safe.
Did they spay her at the same time?
Thank you for the update.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes she was spayed and luckily she is a fit dog although she is feeling sorry for herself today :(
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Poor girl. Hope she gets some distraction by taking care of her puppies.