Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 24 year old lab cross is fit for her age but has had a

My 24 year old lab cross is fit for her age but has had a cough for three years on and off - the last two days she is sneezing and one eye closes and she bangs her nose on the floor - she is as greedy as usual and went for her 15 minute walk and did two poos - I suspect it is time for the last vet visit as she has a massive benign lump on her bum but wanted an opinion - I don't think she is in any pain
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry t hear about Lucy's condition....it is so great that she is 24 years old and she has you t thank for such a ong happy life. My concern for her is that she is suffering from Heart disease because the cough is the first sign. It is very good that she has nothing but the cough but now with this sneezing, I worry that she may have a mass in her nose that is causing this. If this is the case, the sneezing will nto stop without treatment or removal of the mass if present and this will cause Lucy extreme discomfort. Considering her many geriatric issues, this may be the time to let her go....she is not in pain now but it could come on quickly and then she will suffer.

At your next vet visit, have your vet determine with an Otoscope and xray what is causing the sneezing...if it is more than an allergy, then this may be her time. Let your vet guide you in this terrible decision.....I know Lucy is very special to you and your family and getting all the facts will help with your decision of what is best for your sweet Lucy.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She went out for her wee last night and onset seemed sudden - is it possible she sniffed something? It is Guy Faukes in UK and guess you are in US from your phraseology - could it be anything else - she as I say has been coughing for 3 years but was an irondog training for ironman with me but is creaky and shaky now! I just want her to have the best but suspect you are correct! I am a nurse nearly 50 with 32 years in - she has been my dog for 20 years !
Hi Louise...yes, I am in the states but for some reason I thought that the sneezing had been going on a long time. Since it came on suddenly, I would certainly worry that she has sniffed up a foreign body that will need to be removed by your vet if Lucy cannot dislodge it herself. It may not be something serious, Louise. She sounds like a real trooper, Louise , and may hang in there for awhile longer. I should have known you were a nurse since you have taken such great care of her. If Lucybis not suffering except for this foreign body, this may not be the time but it would be good for your vet to determine how bad the heart disease is for her.
Good job, Louise....Lucy, the iron dog, is lucky to have you!
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.