Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

my 9 year old Labrador has two one inch swellings on

my 9 year old bitch Labrador has two one inch swellings on her right and left side geometricaly in the same place. they are on her lower side at the end of her rib cage. they were first noticed yesterday. she is in fine health,eating and dinking and full of energy.
she was spayed eight years ago
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

The good news is if they are bilaterally symmetrical as you say then they are likely a normal variation of anatomy for her

Dr. Altman :

The concern is always going to be if there is an isolated mass that is only on one side or moreso on one versus the other side

Dr. Altman :

If it is a concern then it is always best to have your vet evaluate her to ensure it is nothing to be concerned about but when you mention it is bilaterally symmetrical my first inclination is normal variation

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with but I have never had in 15 years a patient that has bilaterally symmetrical masses that were bad or cancerous

Customer:

what is the cause,will it need treatment based on your obviously limited ability to examine her

Dr. Altman :

It could be muscling, fat, or even a variation in rib placement that can cause protrusions evenly on both sides

Dr. Altman :

Very likely no treatment will be needed for this situation