Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

My dog jumped into the bath and has caught a claw on her paw

My dog jumped into the bath and has caught a claw on her paw what can I do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. Did Tilah just break a toenail? Did she actually get a cut on her paw?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The claw is sticking up from her pad

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Ok. With it sticking up from the toe, it means that it is broken / avulsed pretty good somewhere along it. This is similar to you or I tearing a finger / toe nail pretty good. Basically that toenail needs to be removed / trimmed proximal (towards the toe) as it won't do anything more than be in an abnormal position and get caught on things. This is something that should be done by your vet. They can give her some sedation / pain medication and then just trim or pull the nail off and then bandage it up. I don't recommend an owner doing this as it can be painful and I don't want her to resent you or try to bite you. Be careful with any bandages as they can be put on too tight accidentally. The best thing is to get her to your vet as soon as you can for them to remove this nail and it is again a very quick and easy thing to do.