Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Ruby is a 3-year-old spayed female, small mixed breed. She

Customer Question

Ruby is a 3-year-old spayed female, small mixed breed. She is usually a lively, very friendly playful dog. Over the last summer she has developed a lot of fear than she had before. The slightest little noise n she pulls on the lead, sometimes starts shivering. She had some digestion problems, which cleared with attention from a vet n change of diet. I now feed her natural homemade food without preservatives or chemicals, made by a neighbour, who himself has 2 very healthy dogs. I also feed her some dog nuts n the occasional hide bone or dentastix to keep her teeth clean n strong. She was wormed just a week ago n lost some weight. Now, always after her meal she washes her rear end n bites the area. Then she runs in circles trying to catch her tail, then sits on her honkers making movements like a male dog trying to mate. Then she jumps up at me with her tail wagging n barks for attention. She still has a ravenous appetite but has not put on weight. I can't see anything wrong at her rear end, except her vagina maybe slightly swollen but normal colour. Could she still have worms that play havoc with her hormones? Could it be the diet? Could she have picked up something in the street? (She picks up anything she finds, that's an ongoing problem) I hope to continue feeding her good natural healthy food. How can I get her back to good health n normal behaviour without spending a lot of money?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

So sorry that it has taken so long to get to your question....

This odd behavior may be due to fleas or stress or allergies. The first thig I would try is to give Ruby Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 7-10 days. This will calm down any allergic reaction that could cause this. If this does not help, there is also a chance that her anal glands are impacted and your vet will have to check Ruby for this.

This fear that Ruby has developed could cause a skin condition from the stress of this....if this is the case, the Benadryl should help.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much, Kersty, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Ruby feels better soon!

Have a wonderful day!