Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 12 year old crossbreed who normally has excellent

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old crossbreed who normally has excellent health. Yesterday evening he brought up a piece of chicken and some bile. Today he has been lethargic, not eating, not even his favourite treats. He just seems to want to lie down. He does go into garden but there is no barking to be let out. In fact I have not heard him barking all day. His nose is dry and does not feel hot.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry to learn Buster is not feeling well. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How many hours since the last time he vomited?
2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Any other symptoms?
5- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's been over 24 hours since last vomited. Nothing out of ordinary, the piece of chicken was part of my son's dinner which he gave him. He has ate it before.there are no pre existing medical conditions. No other symptoms. I don't have actual weight and my scales are broken. Vet was happy with his weight when he saw him at beginning of year. Buster is about size of a Labrador if that helps.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
2- Can you take his rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can't take his temperature, his gums are a sort of dark pink colour but he didn't seem to like me examining them :)

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Mary, lethargy and decrease appetite are very non-specific symptoms and can be related to many different medical conditions that affect dogs. The fact that he vomited once, common possible causes are: Dietary indiscretion, infections, ingestion of a foreign body, kidney or liver disease, etc. to name a few causes.
In this case, Buster will need a hands on examination, blood work (chemistry profile & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on clinical and diagnostic findings. In the meantime, start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy. Offer him a bland diet of rice and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. So long as I know he will be ok till I get him to vet tomorrow morning. You have been a great help.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome Mary.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your help when i contacted you about Buster, i took him to vet the next day and he had inflammation in mouth, just under edge of tongue.. all cleared up now, but thanks for your help and setting my mind at ease.

mary

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Hello Mary, I am happy to learn Buster is doing better. Thank you for the update.

Dr. Peter