Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our female lab cross dog has just today lost his appetite after

Customer Question

Our female lab cross dog has just today lost his appetite after being sick this morning, though she still will take a small treat, BUT as she walks her back legs look a bit awkward and on every 4th or 5th step her back legs collapse a but.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Prior to this happening did she have trouble getting up from the floor or going up stairs?
2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She has slight trouble going up stairs in evening but at 13 we assumed aches and pains with old age or slight arthritis. For about a year now we have been giving her 'flexijoints' tablets + cod liver oil capsules. She otherwise up until this afternoon was quite lively and runs about on walks. She vomited today and then went quite quiet and lost appetite.

Yesterday she did eat what I think was part of a dead dear though she does eat a lot of rubbish when out for walks.

Generally healthy lively dog.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Moira, what you are seeing in her back legs is weakness, which can occur secondary to things like arthritis of the spine or hips. Or, she may be systemically ill and for this reason she is weak. Common systemic diseases that we see present in this manner are: Kidney or liver disease, abdominal tumors, etc. to name a few causes. Loss of appetite is simply a consequence of not feeling well.
In this case, we are very limited as to what you will be able to do at home. For this reason I would strongly recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian, blood work (chemistry profile & CBC), urinalysis and +/-xrays as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. In the meantime, if she was vomiting start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg every 12 hours. You can buy famotidine over the counter in any pharmacy. Offer a bland diet of rice and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef. Follow up with family veterinarian. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome Moira.