Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I have been out for the evening and come home to 2 big dog

I have been out for the evening and come home to 2 big dog wee's in my kitchen and a pile of looseish poo in the hall. She went out in the garden to wee before I went out at 8pm and has been out to wee again at 11.45pm.
She looks a bit wobbly on her legs too and is lying down now.
She is an 11 yr old speyed greyhound bitch. Name Honey.
She is making no noise but is trembling a bit when I touch her.
Should I try getting her to an emergency vet or wait until morning?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
I'm sorry that Honey is feeling this way. Just the abnormal urination and abnormal defecation is not a reason to take her to the emergency vet tonight but the wobbliness is a completely different story. Wobbliness that alongside of inappropriate urination and defecation can be indicative of a serious problem. She could be dealing with low potassium, low blood pressure, issues with her heart or other problems. Because she is wobbly and trembling I would encourage you to see the vet immediately. Hopefully it's no big deal, but if it's one of the previously mentioned problems you might have just saved her life.
I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you very much. You have helped me make the decision to seek veterinary advice locally now.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Good luck to you both!
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Honey has spent the night at emergency vet on a drip for fluid and pain relief. Transferred to my own vet this morning. All blood tests and x ray so far have come back negative. Kidney & liver functions ok. No twisted gut. Latest from my vet is she has a heart murmur, raised temp, and the weakness in her legs is worse. She is on pain relief, anti inflammatories, fluids and anti-biotics and being monitored. They are doing all they can for her and monitoring her closely.

Thank you for your care, interest and advice.

Later update: Honey was put to sleep at lunch time that day. The vet was unable to accurately diagnose the problem but test results and examination pointed to pancreas problems. Honey was still in pain and distress despite being on morphine and rapidly weakening so we took the decision to end her suffering.

Thank you for your help and caring.