Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog a maltese was neutered when young and now is 6years

My dog a maltese was neutered when young and now is 6years old. When he lies on his back sometimes not always I notice two small lumps each side of his penis. They are uniform and are at the rear near where his testicles were.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today.

Scott Nimmo :

Actually what you are seeing is quite normal, those structures which look like little bumps at the base of the penis are called the bulbus glandii

Scott Nimmo :

They grow in size and then reduce again in response to a dog's sexual urges and are part of what normally happens when a dog has an election.

Scott Nimmo :

I know your dog is neutered but even so you will still see them engorged now and again, but in the neutered dog that is all you will see. As I say no cause for concern...

Scott Nimmo :

Read more about it here : LINK

Scott Nimmo :
I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.