Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 12yr old ***** ***** has a very dark brown discharge

Customer Question

My 12yr old ***** ***** bitch has a very dark brown discharge from her left ear, I have been given drops from my vet but it hasn't made any difference. A neighbour said that his dog suffered the same problem and he gave a course of tetralysal to him, is this wrong, I thought tetralysal was for humans?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Tetralysal is a member of the tetracycline antibiotics. There's rarely an indication to prescribe any systemic antibiotic for simple otitis externa (outer ear infection) - including tetracyclines. If you're not seeing a good response to Lou's current drops, her ear may be allergic (a "reactive" ear) rather than infected, an infection exists that's resistant to the antibiotic in her drops, or yeast infection is present rather than bacterial infection.

A sample of that discharge should be checked microscopically for the presence of bacteria or yeast and treatment initiated predicated upon those findings. Lou's vet may also recommend a bacterial culture and sensitivity in order to determine the very best antibiotic to be administering directly into Lou's ear.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.