Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my dog is 9. she comes from Rumania where she was tied up for

Customer Question

my dog is 9. she comes from Rumania where she was tied up for 6 years. This has left her with bad muscles under neck and dent in oesophagis making her regurgitate and trouble swallowing. She is on wet tinned tripe. but she gas developed red eyes watery which has stained her fur under her eyes. She didn't have this when I got her 5 months ago. I have put her on an antihistamine which my vet said to try but its still there. She rubs her body along the chair too. What do you suggest. She is extremely scared and nervous too.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Michael Salkin :

Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. Leuta's red and watery eyes may, indeed, be due to an allergic conjunctivitis but an infectious conjunctivitis, corneal disorders, misdirected eyelashes irritating the cornea (the clear window of the eye), infections of the lacrimal apparatus (dacryocystitis) and diseases of the globe of the eye (glaucoma, uveitis, e.g.) also need to considered. The proper manner in which to address such eyes is to have them carefully examined under magnification (an ophthalmologic exam) and then treated specifically predicated upon the findings of such an exam. Antihistamines aren't reliably effective in our allergic dogs in any event. If an allergy were suspected in Leuta's eyes, her vet is likely to dispense an ophthalmic ointment containing an antihistaminic glucocorticosteroid such as prednisone or dexamethasone. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.