Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

10 month old lab vomited a small glove up this morning after

10 month old lab vomited a small glove up this morning after eating grass. has been sick several times since and now can't keep water down. have tried to give him Lactade but has brought this up in form of bile since. Ben is tired as hasn't slept all day but doesn't seem in pain, bright eyed and moving about. is this an emergency or can we wait until our vet opens in the morning. thank you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear Ben is showing these signs

Dr. Altman :

First, please stop offering anything orally

Dr. Altman :

If ingested, it simply increases the waves of nausea and causes further dehydration. I know our instinct is to want to treat at home but in this situation only injectable medications are going to stop the symptoms to avoid the gi tract since there is nausea and likely gi spasms

Dr. Altman :

Do you have any idea how long ago the glove went missing? Is there anything else he could have ingested as well?

Dr. Altman :

I can give you some instructions for tonight and things that would warrant a veterinary er visit tonight but please nothing orally for at least 8 hours to allow the gi tract to rest. If there is nothing else that is causing an obstruction this might work but if there are other foreign bodies in his gi tract he might need to have further diagnostics done to rule this out

Dr. Altman :

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 10mg 1 tablet every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 20 mg 1 tablet daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Ben comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Customer:

Hi. Thank you for the info on feeding & water. My daughter took him for a walk on Thurs last when he pinched the glove and yes he's always pinching things & swallowing them however they usually come out the other end!

Dr. Altman :

Unfortunately you have a Lab puppy on your hands! They will pick up everything and anything for the first few years :)

Signs of a veterinary er visit: blood in vomit or diarrhea, vomiting is not stopping, unable to get comfortable, swollen belly, gums are pale, yellow, red, dry gums, temperature rectally >103.5, becoming overly lethargic, respiratory rate (breaths he takes in one minute) >60

Dr. Altman :

Hopefully this is a result of the glove causing an upset stomach and allowing the gi tract to rest will resolve the issue but if it continues then I definitely recommend a veterinary visit tomorrow if not sooner if above signs are seen

Dr. Altman :

Does this information make sense? Please let me know if I can clarify anything or assist with any additional questions today

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer:

Thank you so much. Yes we've had Labs before & they always eat everything including socks/gloves/dusters etc etc! We usually manage to 'dog proof' but he is very fast! We will monitor him closely tonight his gums look ok, no blood in the vomit & he hasn't had diarrhea. we will monitor him closely tonight & take him to our vet first thing tomorrow morning. Many thanks. Linda & Ben