Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

Hi there, I have an English Terrier who has allergies

Customer Question

Hi there, I have an English Bull Terrier who has allergies to house dust mites, coming out in rashes, hives, itching and chewing her paws.
My vet has prescribed 2 piriton morning and night; and I also have hydroxyzine for severe flare-ups.
My question is would it problematic if hydroxyzine is taken when she has already had piroton (occasionally she will have mad scratching / licking episodes after having already taken her morning piriton). One 25mg hydroxyzine normally sees her through a flare-up.
Thanks in advance,
Bill
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

Since both are in the same family they can be used safely together

Dr. Altman :

The only caveat is that both can have sedative effects so in combination they can cause increased sedation

Dr. Altman :

CLICK HERE for more information on drug interactions of piriton (chlorphenarimine)

Dr. Altman :

Often with skin conditions 2 even three antihistamines are combined to reduce symptoms so there is no concern in combining these two medications

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns I can assist with today

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I am going to change formats in a few moments to ensure you are able to view my responses and ask any additional questions you might have. You may have to "refresh" your browser to see any additional comments on my part if you respond in live chat format. Thank you!

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hopefully this format is more readily viewable to you. Please let me know how else I can assist you both!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Great, thank you very much!

You are very welcome, good luck to you both :)