How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Susan Your Own Question
Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 6785
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Susan is online now

If my Golden Retriever eats a dead rat which has been poisoned

Resolved Question:

If my Golden Retriever eats a dead rat which has been poisoned by me using rat poison is this harmful?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

Yes, we can definitely see residual activity by the toxin in the poisoned animal.

Dr. Susan :

Did he already eat a poisoned rat?

Customer:

No, just in case! I have 4 Goldens & a rat problem! I can keep the poison safely away from them but I am worried that the rat will crawl somewhere and die. One of the bitches is young & nosey!

Dr. Susan :

Yes, we term this "relay toxicosis". It isn't commonly seen, but is definitely possible.

Dr. Susan :

There is one type of toxin, called bromethalin, which is less likely to cause relay toxicosis.

Dr. Susan :

However, if the dogs get directly into the poison, this can cause very serious toxicity.

Customer:

Thanks for that I will have to buy a rat trap I think instead then get someone to kill it for me!

Dr. Susan :

Sounds like the best plan!!!

Dr. Susan :

Good luck getting rid of the critters :)

Customer:

I do know that the dogs must not get anywhere near the poison!

Dr. Susan and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions