Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 6 year old cavilier king Charles she coughs hard as

Customer Question

I have a 6 year old cavilier king Charles she coughs hard as if she is trying to clear her throat and has brought up clear formy liquid
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Can you tell me, please, how long Grace has been coughing so? If just recently and if she's been exposed to other dogs, infectious tracheobronchitis ("kennel cough" is likely. If her cough has persisted for more than a couple of weeks, however, and, in fact, has worsened, I need to be concerned about myxomatous heart valve disease ("leaky" heart valves") in a CKC - a breed in which valve disease is all too common.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She has had it for two days and she has come in contact with other dogs.

Thank you for the additional information. That history lends itself to a much more positive prognosis. Infectious tracheobronchitis is most likely and thankfully remisses unaided within 10-14 days in most dogs. Dogs who don't progressively improve or, indeed, worsen, during that time frame should be auscultated (chest listened to) and prescribed the antibiotics of choice for infectious tracheobronchitis such as either doxycycline or potentiated amoxicillin. A narcotic cough suppressant (butorphanol, codeine, e.g.) may be prescribed as well. Over the counter cough suppressants usually contain dextromethorphan which isn't recommended for use in dogs due to lack of efficacy. A tablespoon of honey every few hours is more likely to be helpful.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.