Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

my dog has eaten an gone off carot

my dog has eaten an gone off carot
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. I want to make sure I understand everything as best as I can. What has he eaten again? How long ago was this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He ate the carrot about 10am this morning. He had diarrhoea about 1pm, although it was partly solid. It was much worse about an hour ago, pretty much like water, but these are the only times he has been to the loo. Seems ok otherwise, drinking etc. Haven't fed him since breakfast. He is an 11 year-old golden retriever.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for that information Jason. Was this a normal, uncooked carrot? Has he had any vomiting? Could he have eaten other foods with the carrot?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No it was an uncooked carrot. No vomiting. We are not aware of him eating any other foods. He is a little quieter than normal but not excessively so.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Thanks again for answering those questions. At this time that single carrot shouldn't be that problematic of a situation. Some can have sensitive stomachs / intestines so could that have caused the diarrhea? At this time with what you're seeing, it doesn't seem like too critical of a situation. There is a good chance that all he needs is some time and rest to let his stools get back to normal. You could feed a bland diet of 1/2 chicken and 1/2 white rice, 1 cup per 30 pounds every 12 hours to give his intestinal tract some rest. You could also just keep his diet the same. What I would hope would happen is that over the next couple days the stools return to normal. If he was to start to have vomiting or abdominal pain, then getting him seen by your vet would be a good recommendation as then something more involved than a bit of colitis may be going on.