Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Two year old ,had pups now been spayed , been trying

Customer Question

Two year old bitch ,had pups now been spayed , been trying to rehome but barks at all newcomers she,s a collie lives with lady daughter and son, shes been protective especially against males, i,d like to give her a home but when i turn my back she attempts to have a nip thanks Dean
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Afternoon Dean and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are things you can do to stop this bad behavior. The first thing is to purchase a DAP Collar available at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will help , Dean, with training. Take your girl to an obedience school so that she will obey your commands.

For now, it also may help to use an Ultrasonic Collar also available at the pet store. The Innotek is the best and it is used as a collar to stop any bad behavior such as this nipping or barking at males....all of this can be trained out of them, Dean, with a little time and patience.

This LINK may help.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear dr loretta thank you for your reply,i don,t actually have the girl she,s with original owner, i was asking on her account , but i,d said

i was intrested in a nother dog especially a collie ,i,ve had four collie,s

two of which where totally out to lunch,which i eventuality got to behave

they had come from very bad homes , i,ve never used any of these collars ,i know you won't be advising those horrible shock collars

I,ll have to look into them.i,ve previously had large gardens ,but now i,m in a house without ,though should i take her on she would have many hours a day normally on the hills i live in swaledale so no problem there

but i would need to take her everywhere with me , i,d said no to her as owner said she though a lady was intrested ,and i thought it would be less stress for scena ,but the lady never returned and some prospective

Owners only stayed 2mins on seeing her ,i know she will be a lot of work

but it,s not looking good for scena .i had thought her been spayed may calm her down somewhat alas not as yet ,it,s only been two months

since op

HI Dean...oh no...I would never recommend a shock collar but the Ultrasonic ones that use a high pitch noise are very effective. Since it has been 2 months since Scena's spay, it is unlikely she will calm down without some work from you....Since you have done this before, Dean, it is certainly worth a try...even obedience school, sounds too simple, I know, but this may help with your control.

Good luck, Dean.....
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks dr loretta ,id love to have left a tip but i,m unemployed due to ill health, would never stop me walking dogs for miles infact she would help me as much as i her since i had my last dog die i,ve been going stirrcrazy though i love well behaved dogs i think i,m destined to have the hard to home ,i,ll let you know how we get on dean

Please do let me know Dean...so sorry about your last dog....you seem to be such a soft hearted guy that you cannot resist the ones no one wants...

Thank you so much, Dean, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. Looking forward to hearing back from you, Dean...you do not have to pay again...just log back into this question and REply...I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Have a wonderful day!