Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

i have a 16 month golden retriver, who had hes booster injection

i have a 16 month golden retriver, who had hes booster injection on thursday 27/11/2014.when he come back from his walk on saturday ,he was sick ,just a little, but sunday night he was sick 4 times , but it was like white bile ,hes also off hes food .except a bit of chicken and he s only had a little drink of water ,hes been sleepy ,and now hes stools are yellow,we think he been eating weeds out the canal and chewing them this was on saturday,today hes a bit brighter , but still will not eat.but as had a bowl of water,do you think we need to take he to the vets .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow has symptoms of vomiting for several days, yellow stools and lethargy.
In most cases vomiting is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors.
While a viral infection is possible, they are less common in dogs that are fully vaccinated.
More serious causes of vomiting include chronic pancreatitis, esophageal reflux, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.
Because this has been going on for several days ideally he should see his veterinarian.
If you absolutely have no way to get him to a veterinarian and he feels well otherwise (no fever, no abdominal pain, bright and alert) there are a few things we can try to settle his stomach at home.
To try and settle his stomach you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 9 to 18 kilograms of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 9 to 18 kilograms of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and should help him feel better. They are quite safe and can be used for a few days if necessary.
I would pick up all food for 12 to 24 hours from the last episode of vomiting and water for a couple hours to allow his stomach to settle after the acid reducers. When you give him water in a few hours make sure it is in small amounts only. If he drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting.
After his food fast offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get additional fluids in.
If things go well and he doesn't vomit and eats well then feed him the bland diet for 2 to 3 days then slowly start to mix back in his regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert her back to his regular diet.
If he continues to vomit, runs a fever (more than 103F or 39.4C rectally), has a tense painful belly or if he continues to refuse to eat he should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs intravenous fluids and supportive care.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

he as not vomited since sunday ,but hes belly was swallon on monday, but it since ok today .

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
I am glad to hear that he is no longer vomiting.
The concern now then is that he's a bit lethargic and he is refusing to eat, though he is drinking.
You can give one of the acid reducers I listed to try and settle his stomach, then a couple hours later offer some of the bland diet mix I described. If he still refuses to eat then he needs to see his veterinarian as this has been lingering too long.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you , do you think it is something hes eat from the canal ? could this be possible ?

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
It is definitely possible. Plant material can be very irritating to the gastrointestinal tract even if they aren't toxic, and if the canal has lots of algae that can be toxic, or bacteria levels in the canal could make him sick.
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.