Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

We have a 4 month old Border Collie that has a small "hole"

We have a 4 month old Border Collie that has a small "hole" on his nose. He has always had it since we picked him up at 8 weeks. It's hard to tell how deep it is, but it never looked too deep - more like a very small dimple.
Today we noticed a little bit of puss coming out of the "hole". When we cleaned it up, we noticed that rubbing his snout just above the hole made more puss come out. It's all clean now and there's no more coming out but we're worried.
I've uploaded a picture here: http://i61.tinypic.com/xcurlv.jpg
There is almost no puss in that picture, but that small white dot is the "hole" which is usually black like the rest of his nose. It's white now because there's a little bit of puss in it.
He doesn't seem to be rubbing/licking his nose at all, but he has been crying a lot the last few hours and seems unsettled.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Was the pus thick?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was quite liquid but not enough to run down his nose.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Robert, I believe what you are seeing is an infected sebaceous cyst, this is very similar to a pimple in a human, very benign. What you can do is clean area with a antibacterial soap with a swab. Then, apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin that you pick up over the counter in your local pharmacy (chemist); do this 2 times a day for the next 7 days.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I look at that in Google all of the images are much worse than what he has. But I realize people only upload images of bad cases...

Long-term, should we get the small hole cauterized at a vet clinic to prevent it getting worse?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Robert, the image in a person is always going to be worst in this case. When I use the example of a human was to compare what is happening; the presence of sebum in the little hole and having a tiny bacterial overgrowth causing the infection (pus). I would not cauterized this area, I would treat it topically as described above and give it time, it should heal. The tiny little hole may remain but it will be of no negative effect.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter