Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

why has my dog started to wee more than usual she has even

why has my dog started to wee more than usual she has even started weeing indoors which she has never done before. she is 14.5 yrs old. border collie. she is on metacam tablets 1 a day. she has recently developed a limp on her front right paw.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

When you say that she is weeing more than usual, do you mean more frequently?

Dr. Susan :

Is she drinking and urinating larger volumes than normal?

Customer:

she is drinking slightly more than normal. she has recently had blood tests done which came back as normal, she is weeing small puddles but strong smelling.

Dr. Susan :

How long ago was she at the vet for testing?

Customer:

she was tested 2 weeks ago and she was kept in the specialist vets for the weekend. It is only the last 3 days that she has started weeing like she is.

Dr. Susan :

I see. I'm suspicious of a urinary tract infection based on what you describe.

Dr. Susan :

The urinary accidents, small amounts of urine, and foul smell are consistent with infection. Often I find E. coli is the culprit when it has a particular stinky odor.

Dr. Susan :

I do recommend having her seen by your local vet for this. I would start with a physical exam and obtain a sterile urine sample for testing.

Dr. Susan :

In the meantime, while waiting for test results, I start antibiotics such as amoxicillin (if this is her first UTI ever) or Clavamox if this is something she has had before.

Customer:

we did give her the left over cooked chicken from sunday dinner wednesday morning. It had been in the fridge since sunday.

Dr. Susan :

This would only cause GI upset, it shouldn't cause any issues with urinary problems.

Dr. Susan :

E coli is a normal fecal pathogen. Urinary tract contamination from fecal bacteria is the most common source of UTI.

Customer:

she hasn't had any diahhorea. Until 5 weeks ago she was a very healthy dog. she woke up a bit confused and a bit lame on her front leg. she was also unsteady on her back legs. Her confusion has gone and she is back to her normal self apart from she is still lame. Now she has started weeing and she seems sad in herself.

Dr. Susan :

The behavior/attitude change could also be related to a UTI.

Dr. Susan :

I do recommend that we treat her for presumptive UTI and monitor her for improvement before we think about continued diagnostics for confusion etc.

Dr. Susan :

Since she is already on meloxicam, I wonder if her lameness is related to chronic degenerative joint disease.

Dr. Susan :

We can use alternatives like tramadol, gabapentin or acupuncture to give her additional relief.

Dr. Susan :

If she has a history of tick borne disease like lyme, we could also consider treating that and monitor for improvement.

Customer:

She has been given tramadol also. Due to her age she probably has some form of arthritis but that does not explain all the symptoms over the few weeks. she was completely healthy.

Dr. Susan :

I agree. The urinary issue is definitely unrelated.

Dr. Susan :

Are you saying you have seen more signs other than the urinary problems and slight limp?

Customer:

Everything was back to normal apart from being lame until 3 days ago when she started weeing like she is. Wednesday night we were up every 2 hours letting her outside.

Dr. Susan :

OK great. The increased frequency is also very consistent with UTI. I think you will see dramatic improvement once she is started on antibiotics.

Dr. Susan :

If we do not see evidence of a UTI, I would then proceed with imaging (x-ray or ultrasound) to look for stones or masses in the bladder.

Customer:

She has had an ultra-sound of her abdomen and this was normal. Apart from her UTI what do you think could be the cause of her other symptoms.

Dr. Susan :

If she has no structural issues that should have been detected by ultrasound, then I think this will be a routine UTI.

Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience: 8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics