Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog is a minature schnauser and is 14 months old. He has

Customer Question

My dog is a minature schnauser and is 14 months old. He has started to urinate around the house, despie me taking him for a early and late walk and deficates on beds or on living room carpet. Why is this
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

How frustrating! However any time we have a dog who was doing great with house training suddenly not do great, I recommend give him the benefit of the doubt that he might have a medical issue that is causing this break in training. He might have a urinary tract infection, bladder stone, production of irritating crystals in the urine, etc.

Dr. Joey :

That means it would be in his best interest to be seen by his veterinarian as soon as you can arrange this for an exam and urine check.

Dr. Joey :

IF he has a check with his vet and everything looks to be normal, then at that time we can consign this to a behavioral issue and work to go back to the beginning with training (very frustrating).

Dr. Joey :

Please let me know what questions you have.

JACUSTOMER-w7e6mqjt- : The urinary tract could be down to infection but the defacation in the house means I think basis is behavioural. But will book appointment with vet. Thanks
Dr. Joey :

That is certainly possible, but I have had several patients now that when straining to urinate are inspired to defecate from all the straining. For that reason alone I do recommend have him assessed for a urinary infection. The sooner the better because if we let this continue for too long, then it might become a behavioral problem (him defecating in the house).

Dr. Joey :

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon!