Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog has been sick on a number of occasions over the last

Customer Question

My dog has been sick on a number of occasions over the last week and is not eating much, but she seems thirsty and wants to drink but is very reluctant to drink her water even when I have refreshed it and changed the bowl. It is as if it doesn't smell right to her. What should I do?
Thank you in anticipation of a reply.
Susan
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This sounds quite concerning. First we must determine if this is an emergency situation such that you should take her back to the veterinarian. If she is very lethargic/depressed with profuse vomit/diarrhea, especially if bloody then this is an emergency. If she is very dehydrated (her gums are dry or quite sticky) then that would be another indication. My concern if she is vomiting frequently is anything we try to give her by mouth to aid with the nausea may come right back up and not work.

What lab testing was done when she was seen? If she was my patient after an exam I would have recommended a CBC, chemistry profile and urine check +/- stool check and X-rays. Her signs are quite vague and could indicate anything from pancreatitis to ingestion of unusual item now blocking her digestive tract to organ failure (liver, kidney) to inflammatory bowel disease to parasites to simply ingestion of unusual item that has upset her system.

Dr. Joey :

I can make some suggestions for what you could try at home (assuming you were dispensed nothing for her from the vet), if you would like. And assuming she seems stable based on the parameters I mentioned above.

JACUSTOMER-cipqvwow- :

Thank you for your answer. She has just come back from a short walk and seems 'okay" - but not quite right. She has just eaten a little - I will see if she keeps it down. Is there anything I can give her to help her digestion to settle?

Dr. Joey :

If you were unable to bring her back in to be seen and she was my patient I might recommend the following:

1) Feed a bland diet: Try white rice and boiled chicken breasts (chopped) in about 3 to 4 small meals per day. If you do not have chicken you can substitute cottage cheese or boiled ground beef.

2) For nausea you may give famotidine 10mg at ½ tablet every 12 hours for nausea/vomit. You should be able to find this medication at any pharmacy for people over-the-counter. It has no bad side effects and does a great job to settle stomach acid and reduce nausea.

3) If she has diarrhea too then you could try giving bismuth sulfate liquid as prepared for people: Give 1 ml by mouth every 8 hours for diarrhea. This medication must be given 1 hour after any other medication as it will coat the system and can potentially prevent absorption of other medications.

Dr. Joey :

Please let me know your questions.

JACUSTOMER-cipqvwow- :

Thank you very much - very helpful. I will follow your advice and take her back to the vets if she shows any signs of

Full Size Image
deteriorating.

Dr. Joey :

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon!