Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

HOW CAN I BEST help my dog through what appears to be his

HOW CAN I BEST help my dog through what appears to be his second seizure in the last 2 years?He was diagnosed with possible epilepsy last year.He is a 4 year old Jack Russel
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

Is Pyg in the middle of a seizure right now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Susan :

How long has he been seizuring?

Dr. Susan :

If he has been seizuring for longer than 5 minutes, we need to intervene now.

Dr. Susan :

He needs to go to a hospital immediately so that we can administer IV medication to stop the seizure.

Dr. Susan :

The longer this goes on, the more likely he will experience long term damage.

Dr. Susan :

Long seizures will also predispose him to more seizures in the future.

Dr. Susan :

If this seizure is longer than 5 minutes, even though it is only his second, we need to start long term medication for him at this time.

Dr. Susan :

I recommend zonisamide. Some vets may prefer phenobarbital or potassium bromide. Zonisamide works more quickly (effective within 48 hours as opposed to a couple of weeks) and also has fewer side effects.

Customer:

sorry he's vomitting. Been at least 20 to 30 minuets in seizure but remains conscious.Must now try and find out where to take him as we are behind the times with vet emergencies in dear old Blighty

Dr. Susan :

I can try to help you search online at least, I'm in the US so I'm not sure how much help I can be.

Dr. Susan :

Is Blighty the name of your town?

Customer:

No its a term of endearment for our backward country.Sorry for the confusion.thanks for your help i need all the help i can muster.

Dr. Susan :

Oh you are so welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Customer:

many thanks.I'm wondering if anti inflamerteries like Ibuprofen would be of any benefit?

Dr. Susan :

No, unfortunately, an anti-inflammatory will not be helpful here. In fact, ibuprofen is toxic to a dog's liver.

Customer:

So glad i asked you first!! He seems to be settling down now.I will take him to his usual vets in the morning as I can't find anywhere local at this time of night.It's 1-48 am. and I'm very gratefull for your help, reassurance and correction of inflammatory.Just showing my ignorance.Thanks again.