Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My yorkshire terrier banged her left front paw against a brick

Customer Question

My yorkshire terrier banged her left front paw against a brick edging ,racing to see my son who she loves she seems to have hurt her middle toe the claw looks at an angle,this happened the day before yesterday.She holds the paw up all the time ,It is not infected.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This is a common injury. It sounds like she broke her nail. This is something that if she is lame today on the paw/leg or consistently licking that I must recommend you take her in for her veterinarian to trim the broken part of the nail off.

Dr. Joey :

You are welcome to try at home but this is usually fairly painful and best done by someone experienced in making the cut as quick and painless as possible. Then after the nail is cut (often at the base) your vet can stop the bleeding. Within a day she will be back to normal after trimming the broken part of the nail, and the nail usually will regrow perfectly normally.

Dr. Joey :

Please let me know what questions you have.

Dr. Joey :

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon!