Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

We took our bulldog puopy to the vets as he was wheezing hes

Customer Question

We took our bulldog puopy to the vets as he was wheezing hes had two lots of antibiotics some steroids and some other medication that was stronger than the antibiotics they then gave him an exray an they said he had some fluid round his heart hes got to go back to the vets for another xray as none of the medication has not worked
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

Is he still eating normally.

Dr. Susan :

?

Dr. Susan :

I see quite a few Bulldogs, and by your description, I am concerned about pneumonia, heart disease (pulmonic stenosis is more common in bullys), or brachycephalic syndrome.

Dr. Susan :

SInce her xrays did shod fluid buildup, I'm most concerned about pneumonia.

Dr. Susan :

I highly recommend discontinuing any further steroid.

Dr. Susan :

If you post back with the antibiotics she has been given, that will be helpful.

JACUSTOMER-kbmqeihj- :

He was on clavaseptin 250mg 1 twice a day

Dr. Susan :

Ok, and how much does he weigh?

JACUSTOMER-kbmqeihj- :

He was 16kg when he went

Dr. Susan :

OK, I just wanted to be sure that the dose sounded appropriate, and it does.

Dr. Susan :

Did the vet mention hearing a heart murmur?

JACUSTOMER-kbmqeihj- :

No they didnt say anything about that just wanted a second apinion before he goes back for a second xray they gave him thexray because he was goin in for a hernia operation an said they couldnt do it coz of his wheezing thats when they gave him his first xray thank u for ure help

Dr. Susan :

You're very welcome.

Dr. Susan :

If the x-rays appear the same or worse, I recommend ultrasound of his chest next.

Dr. Susan :

It would also be beneficial to do what is called a transtracheal wash, which uses a small amount of sterile saline to rinse through the respiratory system so we can get a sample of any bacteria.

Dr. Susan :

This sample can be sent to a lab for bacterial culture, and we can identify specific bacteria that she may have.

Dr. Susan :

That will also test which antibiotics are appropriate to treat any bacterial infection she may have.

Dr. Susan :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

JACUSTOMER-kbmqeihj- :

Ok thank u I will if you dont mind im goin in the morning for his xray I will tex you and let you no what they say if thats ok

Dr. Susan :

That would be great, I'll be watching for the update!

JACUSTOMER-kbmqeihj- :

Thank u

Dr. Susan :

You're welcome!

JACUSTOMER-kbmqeihj- :

Good nite from me im goin to bed now

Dr. Susan :

Good night, have a great weekend!

JACUSTOMER-kbmqeihj- :

He had an ultra sound and everything came back clear so just wait now till he gets a bit older to see how he goes

Dr. Susan :

OK, well, as long as he continues growing, eating well, and acting normally, I suppose that's ok.