Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hi my dog is a jack tussle cross chawawha he suffered his 3

Customer Question

Hi my dog is a jack tussle cross chawawha he suffered his 3 fit this year 2 days ago and ever since has not been himself, he is trembling (like he is cold) he feels cold even with a jumper on, his appetite is lost and not drinking a lot either his temp is a normal 38.1c he is very lethargic too normally when people come in he is bouncing but today he sat quietly next to my visitor and didn't want fuss any advice would be great thanks Tanya
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Seizures ("fits") that arise between the ages of 1-5 years are usually diagnosed as idiopathic epilepsy but Taff's trembling and anorexia aren't consistent with that diagnosis and so I'm concerned that metabolic disease underlies his "fits" rather than an intracranial (within the skull) disorder such as epilepsy.

Can you describe, please, just what you're witnessing which you've described as a fit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When he goes into a seizure he goes very rigid back legs noticeably so his neck stiffens and it's like he is staring into space the seizure lasts around 4.5 min a time and takes him about 5 mins to come round he has been prescribed libromide 325 mg half a tablet twice a day prescribed by my local vet thanks tanya

Thank you for the additional information, Tanya. If he doesn't lose consciousness that would be considered a complex partial seizure (previously called petit mal). If he did lose consciousness that would be considered a generalized seizure (previously called grand mal).

I would first want to rule out bromide toxicosis. This is usually dosed at 30-40mg/kg once daily. How much does Taff weigh, please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He weighs 7kg

Thank you. 7kg x 30-40mg/kg once daily is 210-280mg once daily. He's been receiving 325mg daily which might explain his current symptoms. Please ask for a bromide blood level to be run along with a basic diagnostic panel of blood/urine tests. If the bromide blood level comes back acceptable, that panel might contain information pertinent to his trembling and anorexia.

His symptoms aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. I'd be pleased to review the results of any testing for you. Can you upload a copy of his test results to our conversation? His vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much for explaining this so well :) you have been a great help is there anything I can do in the mean time to make him comfy I have bought him a jumper to keep him warm as its chilly today going down to -1 tonight thank you again

I got the chills just thinking of -1. Let him rest on a heating pad covered by a towel and set at its lowest settting. Nothing makes a chilled dog happier.

You're quite welcome. I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'll speak to you soon.

Please disregard the info request.