Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my 10 year old boxer is drinking more than normal, but he is

Customer Question

my 10 year old boxer is drinking more than normal, but he is unable to keep the water down & is often sick soon after. Weeing lots, but now also weeing indoors.
Also, is often sick after eating his compleate food - so have started to soak it to help soften. This does not always stop hime being sick...
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Baxter's polydipsia (increased thirst) and polyuria (increased volume of urine) are danger signs for both renal and hepatic insufficiency, diabetes mellitus (if he's also polyphagic/increased hunger), Cushing's disease (he would be polyphagic as well), hypercalcemia (increased serum calcium level), hypokalemia (decreased serum potassium level), and the rarer Addison's disease and diabetes insipidus.

Baxter's vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam inclduing diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. You should know within 24 hours why Baxter is so symptomatic. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. It's best to fast Baxter for at least 4 hours prior to a blood draw for the most accurate results. Never restrict water, however.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.

May I have an update on Baxter, please?