Dogs
Dogs, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with pet, working and show dogs alike.
76153631

what is the cause of a yellow discharge on a newborn puppy

Customer Question

what is the cause of a yellow discharge on a newborn puppy?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dogs replied 2 years ago.
Dogs : Hi there, vet Andrew here. Where is the discharge coming from?
JACUSTOMER-12qkqz4a- :

The 'discharge' was on the puppy at birth - see question: What is the cause of a yellow discharge on a newborn puppy?

JACUSTOMER-12qkqz4a- :

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/52-maltese-health-behavior/216970-newborn-puppy-yellow-discharge.html - You can see an image here....

Dogs : Ah, you mean all over the coat, rather than a specific orifice. Was this puppy one of the first or last to come out?
JACUSTOMER-12qkqz4a- :

This puppy was either the 1st or 2nd one. All three puppies that were alive had the same.

JACUSTOMER-12qkqz4a- :

Litter of 4. One died or was stillborn at birth. Two others have passed away at aprox 30 hours after birth.

Dogs : The yellow discharge you describe is called meconium and is actually the bowel contents of the pup which they void when stressed. This often happens if the birth is prolonged. I'm sorry to hear you've lost so many. Has the mother got much milk?
JACUSTOMER-12qkqz4a- :

Limited. The puppy has not been successful in sucking any milk. We are syringe feeding but the puppy is not gaining any weight other than on day 1.

JACUSTOMER-12qkqz4a- :

So saying the Pups are Jaundiced is wrong...?

Dogs : Jaundice is actually a yellowing of the skin, which can't really be seen in furry animals but can be seen in the whites of the eyes. Can you see this?
JACUSTOMER-12qkqz4a- :

I have an image, can I upload it?

Dogs : Sorry, I should have said your link didn't work. I'll try again.
Dogs : Yes, there should be a button on the question page to upload. I'll switch to q and a as it works better.
Expert:  Dogs replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dogs replied 2 years ago.
Now on q and a. Try uploading your image.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/attachments/maltese-health-behavior/208530d1418048647-newborn-puppy-yellow-discharge-optimized-p1010460.jpg

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Newborn Maltese Puppy

Expert:  Dogs replied 2 years ago.
Got it. What I see there is classic meconial staining and is not jaundice. Of course, you can't see the whites of the eyes as they are not open yet! I was thinking of adult dogs.
Your bitch may have had trouble called agalactia where the milk is not released, and can be cured with a simple injection from your vet. Also, if she is underweight then there may not be enough milk there. Another cause of pups dying early is canine herpes virus, which can be managed with a vaccine given twice during pregnancy. I would visit or phone your vet and discuss these issues if you plan to put her in pup again.
In the meantime, keep up the good work with the artificial milk, and don't forget to keep the pup warm and stimulate it to defaecate with a moist cotton swab five times a day.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank You.

Expert:  Dogs replied 2 years ago.
No problem. Thank you for your rating and I wish you all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is there any way of knowing why or what caused the Pups to be stressed? I presume this stress causes a weakness. The surviving pup is 95 grams and is the same now as yesterday, some 36 hours ago.... which is not good... I am doing my best to save this puppy.... NB: The other two passed away without any warning on day 2 having been cleared by the local vet as OK. Three of the pups had the placenta coming from the mother first....

Expert:  Dogs replied 2 years ago.
How long was the bitch in labour for?
Expert:  Dogs replied 2 years ago.
The leading cause of stressed pups is prolonged labour, which causes them to lack oxygen. This often happens with the very last pup even in a normal birth. This causes them to void their bowels as you have seen, and causes stress hormones such as adrenaline and cortisol to be released. In small quantities, these hormones help prepare the newborn for their first breath, but in large quantities they can increase susceptibility to infection.
If the three pups had already separated their placentas then they would have lost their maternal oxygen supply, and being in the birth canal could not breathe. This causes stress.
Your description of the pups being OK until day 2 is highly suggestive of Fading Puppy Syndrome, which many attribute to canine herpes virus, as I've said before.