Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 7month old black lab has a solid yellow stool we have recently

My 7month old black lab has a solid yellow stool we have recently changed his food , this morning he was sick after his first meal but he is drinking water no problem he has gone to the toilet twice today both times yellow he also seems a bit tired
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did you wean him into the new diet?
2- How long has he been on the new food?
3- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes we weaned him onto it he has been on it 3 weeks and he weighs between 15 and 20 kg he is a big labrador as was his sire
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- What was in the vomit, food?
2- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The food didn't have time to digest it just came straight back up so just food and he seems a bit tired but still eager for his walks
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.

Frances, when we see yellow stool it could be a sign of the gastrointestinal tract being over active. When see vomiting of undigested food it is called "regurgitation" as the food has not been digested. Possible causes could be esophagus disorders (megaesophagus, strictures, parasites), gastritis, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. to name a few causes.
In this case, the first place to start would be giving the gastrointestinal tract some time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean him into his regular diet.
4- If he continues to regurgitate, yellow stool or develops diarrhea after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter