Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a rough collie who is approx. 9 years old. Recently

I have a rough collie who is approx. 9 years old.
Recently she has been vomiting with white fluid coming out and has gone off her food completely. She only drinks water.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is she spayed?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Is she drinking more than usual?
5- Any other symptoms?
6- How much does she weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1- For about 2 weeks

2- Yes

3- I visited a vet about 1 month ago and she was diagnosed with a virus for which she was given medicine. After taking her medicine her appetite was good and appeared to be normal,

4- She only drinks but no more than usual

5- She appears lethargic and a little unsteady on her feet

6- She weighs 23kg

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Richard, changing diet in this case may not help with the vomiting. You see, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. In this case, the fact that she is an older dog, lethargic and off food I would be concern about a systemic disease like: Kidney or liver disease, tumors, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need to be seen by a veterinarian for blood work (chemistry profile & CBC), urinlaysis and +/-xrays as initial screening test. Highly recommend having her checked today. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter