Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

my dog wont eat his food will drink water he has been to our

Customer Question

my dog wont eat his food will drink water he has been to our local vet who chqed him out and said everything was fine gave him a antibiotic inj and one to settle his stomach any ideas ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

At Taffy's age, I would worry that he may have a metabolic problem that would require blood work to know for sure. This anorexia could be due to pain, a pancreatitis or other internal issues that would require treatment.

For now, give Taffy supportive care by giving him Pedialyte, 2-4 ounces every 4 hrs and Nutrical,available at the pet store , every 4 hrs. This is a high calorie supplement that will give him the nutrients he needs to get past this.

If Taffy does not respond, further diagnostics will need to be performed to determine what is causing thsi and how best to treat Taffy for this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much, Stuart, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope sweet Taffy feels better soon!

Happy Holidays!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your help but we had to have taffy put to sleep he had kidney and liver failure

Oh Stuart, I am so sorry!!

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your precious Taffy!!!