Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

1 year old male labradoodle has for the last 2 days eaten and

1 year old male labradoodle has for the last 2 days eaten and 2-3 hours later is sick.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he lethargic?
2- Any diarrhea?
3- He is regurgitating the food, correct?
4- Does he vomit without food?
5- Did he get into anything?
6- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1 not lethargic

2 stools are normal

3 vomiting after a 2 to 3 hour period

4 no

5 unknown although chewes on fircones

6 not sure but not overweight for breed miniture labradoodle

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Bernard, when we see vomiting of undigested food it is called "regurgitation" as the food has not been digested. Possible causes could be esophagus disorders (megaesophagus, strictures, parasites), gastritis, ingestion of a foreign body or even part of a systemic disease. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to regurgitate after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter