Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

We have a flat coated retriever and she is 13 and the last

We have a flat coated retriever and she is 13 and the last couple of days she has be having some diarrhoea. Even when we go for a walk she is doing the toilet while walking . My wife says she thinks it's nearly time up for Molly as she's list a lit of weight and getting very slow. Can you help ? Rgds Gordon
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

I can understand why your wife is getting concerned, however, there are a number of different things we can look into before we determine that there is nothing else to be done!

Dr. Susan :

Has Molly had anything unusual in her diet? People food, getting into the trash, etc?

Customer: Not that I know of, no just her dried dig food, I give them cod liver oil capsules every day, and the odd dog biscuit and rawhide chew. But this is normal every day. This morning I gave her toast.
Dr. Susan :

OK, has she had her stool checked for intestinal parasites recently?

Customer: No she hasn't
Dr. Susan :

I would consider dropping one off at her regular vet just to screen for an easy fix.

Dr. Susan :

Aside from that, you can try a couple easy things at home. How much does Molly weigh?

Customer: I don't have a clue - she has lost a lot of weight over the past year ( she will be 13 on Thursday and I realise for a flat coat that is a good age) . I was going to try to starve her tomorrow and see his she was with that although she us still drinking plenty water.
Dr. Susan :

You can give her an OTC human probiotic like Culturelle. Break one capsule over her food each day. You can also give a dose of Imodium (2 mg loperamide). For a dog her size, I would estimate a dose of 2mg (1 capsule) every 8-12 hours.

Dr. Susan :

You can also use a bland diet of boiled white rice and boiled chicken.

Dr. Susan :

This is palatable and easily digested.

Dr. Susan :

If these work, we can also try a joint supplement and some pain medication to help her mobility.

Customer: I didn't realise could use that kind of medication. I will give that a try and the rice and chicken too. How long should I give it before taking her to the vets ?
Dr. Susan :

As long as she still has a good appetite and is behaving normally I think it is reasonable to wait 2-3 days as we try the medications.

Customer: Thank you, ***** ***** just soiled again on the kitchen floor, which is totally unlike her so I gave her a dose of Imodium - hopefully she will be more comfortable soon.
Dr. Susan :

I sure hope so! Please feel free to continue posting with updates. I will try to check on you in a few days to hear about Molly's condition.

Customer: Thank you again :)