Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 6 month old irish setter has diarrhoea 2-3 times during

My 6 month old irish setter has diarrhoea 2-3 times during the day but his stool first thing in the morning is perfect. He gets the same food 3 times a day at the minute. This has not really changed since he started on royal canin veterinarian prescribed gastric intestinal food about a week ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is he losing weight or failing to gain?
3- Has he been dewormed? If so, do you know the name of the dewormer?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Been going on for the last couple of months, on and off, and has been changed food from Royal canin puppy, to RC gastric intestinal, onto Burns and now back to RC gastric intestinal again ( which my current vet has prescribed for a second time)
He has consistently gained weight and is now over 23 kg, he is not lethargic and his coat is in good condition
He hasn't been de-wormed since his check over at the vets upon registration at 8 weeks, but I'm not sure which dewormer was used
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Steven, one of the most common conditions causing chronic intermittent diarrhea in a young dog like Finn would be intestinal parasites. There are 3 parasites (coccidia, giardia and whipworms) that are known to cause chronic diarrhea and yet be negative on routine fecal analysis. For this reason it is always a good idea to deworm and rule out the above mentioned parasites. This is what you can do:

1- You can speak to your veterinarian about deworming using Fenbendazole (panacur) give it once a day for 3 days. Then, repeat after 3 weeks. Panacur will treat against giardia and whipworms. To rule out coccidia he will need to be treated with Albon.

2- Start him on a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can find this over the counter in any pet store.

3- Continue on the RC diet as directed by family veterinarian.

4- If after doing the above the diarrhea continues, then your vet will follow up with some diagnostics like xrays, sonogram and blood work.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter