Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

my dog got hit in the eye with a tennis ball, she yelped when

my dog got hit in the eye with a tennis ball, she yelped when it happened, and now she seems to be keeping her eye closed. Should I be worried?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to her that Summer has been hit in the eye with a tennis ball and is now keeping her eye closed and has redness in the white of her eye.
I do think that you need to be concerned because of the signs that you are seeing. Her eye is uncomfortable if she is keeping it closed. That may be secondary to a corneal ulcer (an abrasion on the clear outer part of the eye) suffered when the rough outer covering hit her eye, or it may be more serious such as bleeding into her eye or a luxated lens if the force of the ball hitting her eye was strong enough.
Ideally I recommend having your girl examined by a veterinarian to make sure her lens did not luxate, that there isn't any bleeding or an ulcer that should be addressed.
Your veterinarian will likely at least stain her eye and check her eye pressure.
They will probably prescribe an eye drop to prevent infection should an ulcer be seen with staining and an oral systemic nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory to help her with pain and inflammation.
In the meantime do not allow her to rub her eye, that will only make things worse. Place an elizabethan collar (lampshade) on her if necessary.
Keep her in dim light as bright light will increase discomfort.
Apply artificial tears every hours or two to keep her eye comfortable until you can have her examined.
Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

do you think she will be ok until tomorrow when the vets are open?

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
It's hard to say because I cannot see her. Ideally the sooner anti-inflammatories are started the better.
If there is obvious blood inside the eye itself then I wouldn't wait.
If this is a corneal ulcer with some mild inflammation alone then applying artificial tears and keeping her in the dark may make her feel better enough to open her eye somewhat. If that's the case that is a very good sign.
If her eye itself bulges or the area around it starts to swell then it's best she be seen as soon as possible.
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** opening her eye more now, and she seems happy enough, still wants to play, so I think she may be ok. But I will get her checked over tomorrow just to be sure.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
I am glad to hear she seems more comfortable and playful, so she may indeed be fine for the evening. I do think that an examination and checking her eye pressure and for an ulcer tomorrow is a great idea though. Eyes are very delicate, so keep a close watch on her tonight. Please let me know if you have any further questions, Dr. Kara.