Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a gsd 18 weeks old im having a problem finding

Customer Question

I have a gsd bitch 18 weeks old im having a problem finding a suitable food as she has diahrea fairly often what named product would you recommend
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Besides the diarrhea any other symptoms?
2- Has she been dewormed? If so, do you know the name of the dewormer?
3- Is she losing weight or not gaining weight?
4- Any other symptoms?
5- Has she been seen by a veterinarian for this problem?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In reply no other symtoms...eats ravenously drinks a lot of water ...dewormed with an all in vet vacinations...flea...microchipped... she is gaining weight and height fairly rapidly ...seen by local vet he suggests that because she is white champagne in colour that there maybe a gene problem...has had caniker pro and tins of chicken and rice sensitive from the vet ...I have had 4 german shepherds without a problem...many thanks for your advice ..David...

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
David, in a puppy it is unlikely for the food to be the primary cause for the chronic diarrhea. In this case, it is very likely to be related to intestinal parasites. There are 3 parasites (coccidia, giardia and whipworms) that are known to cause chronic diarrhea and yet be negative on routine fecal analysis. In addition, not all dewormer work for all types of parasites.
I would strongly recommend you discuss with your vet about ruling out the above parasites by deworming her. You see, these parasites are known for causing diarrhea yet be negative on routine fecal examination. For this reason it is always a good idea to deworm and rule out the above mentioned parasites. This is what you can do:

1- You can speak to your veterinarian about deworming using Fenbendazole (panacur) give it once a day for 3 days. Then, repeat after 3 weeks. Panacur will treat against giardia and whipworms. To rule out coccidia he will need to be treated with Albon.

2- Start her on a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can find this over the counter in any pet store.

3- Change diet to rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) until stool is back to normal then wean back into her regular puppy food.

4- If after doing the above the diarrhea continues, then your vet will follow up with some diagnostics like xrays, sonogram and blood work.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter