Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

Today I hit a dog with my my car (looked like a Scottish Terrier)

Today I hit a dog with my my car (looked like a Scottish Terrier) at around 15-20 mph. It was pushed along the ground a few feet by the bumper trim as I braked, the car did not go over it. It ran off and I helped the owner find it, it seemed uninjured by the accident (it ran about a quarter of a mile). The owner refused a ride to the vet but I assume (hope) they took it later.
My question is what sort of injuries may I have caused the the animal? I suppose I want reassurance that I did not kill it, I lost a dog after it was hit by a car and I don't want to be responsible for inflicting that pain and guilt on someone else.
Regards.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

From your description, most likely all that she has is skin lesions from the road.

Dr. Susan :

To be totally honest though, blunt trauma still has the possibility of causing internal bleeding in the chest or abdomen.

Dr. Susan :

I do think it is more likely that she has some bruises and contusions and scrapes, and that should be all.

Dr. Susan :

As much as I'd like you to feel better, I don't want to lie to you!

Customer:

Thankyou for your answer

Dr. Susan :

You're welcome. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Customer:

I think I