Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog ate something he shouldn't have done yesterday - didn't

Customer Question

My dog ate something he shouldn't have done yesterday - didn't see what it was, but he was sick a few times as a result. We have starved him today, no food at breakfast or in the evening and he has been fine since, seems to have plenty of energy. He's had access to fresh water the whole time as normal.
Was just wondering whether this is the best course of action to take in these kind of situations, don't want to be doing him more harm than good.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Peter :

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Dr. Peter :

1- Is it fair to say he is back to normal?

Customer :

Hello, thanks for answering. He is back to normal, certainly resuming his usual habits and he's been playing as normal

Dr. Peter :

Friend, you did right in removing the food for the day to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Now, you need to feed him a bland diet like rice and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef.

Dr. Peter :

Feed him smaller amounts but more frequent 4-6 times a day for a few days. Then, wean him back into his regular diet.

Dr. Peter :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Customer :

Thank you for the advice :)

Dr. Peter :

You're welcome.