Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 9 yr old Border Collie is is constantly eating grass. Non

Customer Question

My 9 yr old Border Collie is is constantly eating grass. Non stop late in the evening. Please advise possible problem
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

For about 1 hour non stop./ Stopped for a little while and has started again now.

No vomiting or diarrhea

Live enzyme count was not up to standard 3 months ago but seems to have recobered from that . He is on 5 ml of Loxocam daily.

he weighs about 28 K

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Douglas, when a dog is eating grass excessively it is often a symptom of an underlying medical problem either in the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to a systemic disease. Having a history of elevated liver enzymes I would strongly recommend having him rechecked by family veterinarian to repeat the blood work. In the meantime, discontinue the loxocam until he is seen by family veterinarian. You see, loxocam can cause gastrointestinal problems as well. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). Change his diet to rice and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter