Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

Hi I have a boxer of 33 months, she's been spayed. Since

Customer Question

Hi I have a boxer bitch of 33 months, she's been spayed. Since last March 3 times to my knowledge she's passed blood after going to the toilet back end. I had her poo tested 3 weeks ago and the results were fine nothing untoward. This morning when I got up she had had an accident in the porch and it happened again. I am never able to catch her actually doing it. When it happened in the past I put it down to her playing with dead birds she found in the garden and then going off her food the following day. I am not aware of the bird connection today but she did not want her food yesterday. This morning she has eaten her food she's very much full of her self into every thing as boxers are. Over the past 50 years I have had quite a lot of dogs both of my own and fostering and never come across this before. Please can you help shed a light and hopefully help to put it right.
Oenwen Jones
As I've just set up my emails not sure whether it works or not
If any problems would you be kind enough to send your reply to my works email
*****@******.***
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Oenwen, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. Meg has what is called colitis, which means that the lining of her large bowel or colon becomes inflamed periodically from "something". The most common cause is a dog eating a new or fouled food. Eating the dead birds could definitely be a cause, but eating a new food or table food could also lead to this inflammation which creates the blood or and/or mucus in the stool. Other causes can be parasites, bacterial and viral infections, food allergies. Since Meg recovers so quickly, it is probably due to her eating unusual things.

Thank you Oenwen for your very kind rating. . .greatly appreciated! I did overlook one other cause and that is stress. Usually we see this in dogs that are kenneled or boarded for a few days.
I'm glad that I could be of help. . .
Dr. Barbara