Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

hi, my 3 year old male shitzhu is normally very placid and

Customer Question

hi, my 3 year old male shitzhu is normally very placid and chilled out but over the last week or so he has started growling for no apparent reason, he has even growled at me when i was stroking him, he growled at my sister when she stroked him and at my daughter in law. he also seems growly with my younger pup, so i think maybe he has something bothering him but i dont want to upset him more poking around with him in ase i hurt him and he bites me. any ideas please
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

I am so sorry to hear your little ones temperament has changed abruptly

Dr. Altman :

My primary concern would be his back. Especially if he is hesitating to jump on/ off furniture or going up/ down stairs. Sometimes they will walk a little more hunched, tail tucked or even walk stiffer than usual but other times there will be no other indication that this is the issue until they are seen by your vet who can hone in on the problem

Dr. Altman :

Unfortunately I see this quite commonly with the breed and with the fact he is showing this symptom abruptly with everyone makes me suspicious he is cautioning you to avoid touch because he is painful

Dr. Altman :

If you do need to pick him up to get him in the car please use caution. My favorite technique is one hand between the front legs and the other behind his rear to scoop him up. I have actually taught one of my little dogs who has back pain to lay her front feet on my forearm then I pick her up behind her bottom swiftly minimizing the arching of her back therefore pain

Dr. Altman :

I hope this information makes sense to you, please let me know if I can clarify anything for you today

Dr. Altman :

I would not advise any over the counter pain medication for him without confirming this is the issue. If there is something else going on the pain medication can make things worse and we definitely want to avoid that scenario

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I am going to change formats in a few moments to ensure you are able to view my responses and ask any additional questions you might have. You may have to "refresh" your browser to see any additional comments on my part if you respond in live chat format. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hopefully this format is more readily viewable. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses. I am on-line another hour tonight (in the States) to assist you with any additional questions or concerns. If you are satisfied with my responses please "rate" excellent or good so I can be compensated for my time.
Thank you and I wish your little one a speedy return to normal!