Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My dogs have eaten alot of meat that i didnt realise was very

Customer Question

My dogs have eaten alot of meat that i didnt realise was very salty and are drinking an awful lot of water. What should I do? Should I stoo them drinking for a while? Their tummies are big now
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

Please do not stop them from drinking.

Dr. Drew :

That is the worst possible choice at this point.

Dr. Drew :

They are drinking a lot because their body is trying to get rid of all of the excess salt in the bloodstream.

Dr. Drew :

If they are not allowed to drink, they will develop severe dehydration and electrolyte imbalances.

Dr. Drew :

this should pass in 12-24 hours, but they need to have access to water.

Dr. Drew :

of course, gulping huge amounts at once may cause vomiting, so we want to avoid that as well,

Dr. Drew :

but they need to have access to water at least 3-4 times hourly.

JACUSTOMER-jovh9z2b- :

Ok. Thanks very much.

Dr. Drew :

you're very welcome!

JACUSTOMER-jovh9z2b- :

Most of the dogs seem ok (I have 7) but one of them, a little blue staffordshire bull terrier, seems uncomfortable. He is pacing alot and drinking very frequently. His tummy looks big and he has been slightly sick. I will keep watching him and let you know if anything changes. Thanks

Dr. Drew :

it is possible that a dog could drink enough to distend the stomach to a point of discomfort,

Dr. Drew :

so you might need to prevent him from gulping more than a few ounces of water at a time,

Dr. Drew :

until he seems less uncomfortable.

Dr. Drew :

is there anything else I can do to be of assistance?