Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our dog not eating and not wanting to go for a walk very listless

Our dog not eating and not wanting to go for a walk very listless - which we can assure you is not him
He is 8year old field cocker spaniel
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry to learn Ossie is not feeling well. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

(1) no vomiting

(2) Since we awoke this morning

(3) No pre existing conditions

(4) No other symptoms except he we have to make sure he has a little water and he has no interest in anything

Kelvin

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Is he walking any different?
2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
3- Can you take his rectal temperature?

You're welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

(1) He does not walk at all - he is usually all over the place. When he does he walk it is very slowly

(2) Pink

(3) 39.2

Kelvin

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
His temperature is normal.

1- Is he arching his back when he walks?
2- How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

(1) He walks if on tiptoes - slightly arched

(2) Approx20 kilo give or take a kilo

Kelvin

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Kelvin, there are many possible medical conditions that would cause Ossie to become lethargic. The fact that he is walking on his toes with a slightly arched back this is a sign of pain very likely in the back, less likely in the abdomen. A very common cause would be a pulled muscle or pinched nerve along the back as a result of a bulging disc.
In this case, the best option for Ossie is having him checked today by a veterinarian to rule in back pain and start him on prescription anti inflammatory and pain killers. I understand it is Christmas, if you don't have access to a vet today start him on Aspirin 325mg every 12 hours with some food. If he is not eating this is what you can do to give him the aspirin:

1- You can place the pill in a little bit of peanut butter.
2- Then, open his mouth place the pill as far back on the base of the tongue and hold the mouth closed.
3- While holding the mouth closed direct the nose up and rub the throat to stimulate swallowing.
4- Follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter