How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peter Your Own Question
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 30373
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Peter is online now

my 10 kg cavalier king charles has consumed we think 2 whole

Resolved Question:

my 10 kg cavalier king charles has consumed we think 2 whole terrys milk chocolate oranges.He has been very quiet, anorexic and in the last ten minutes been very sick. Do we need to see a vet or is the fact he has been sick ok as is out of his system?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How many ounces of milk chocolate did he eat?
2- Did you see evidence of the chocolate in the vomit?
3- How long has it been since he ate the chocolate?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

175g each orange and yes the vomit was brown and smelt of orange.Not 100% sure on timings, possibly late morning or early afternoon.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
How many hours (we are in different time zones) since he ate them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

possibly as many as 8 hours ago, we cannot be sure as no one saw it happen. we are trying to work out when they were last seen. he has been very quiet all day and dis not want to eat his breakfast this morning.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Is it fair to say that most of the chocolate was in the vomit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes i think so, it was like melted chocolate with the consistency of gravy. he is still vomiting and it still looks like chocolate.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Sally, 2 oranges of 175 grams of milk chocolate each is not likely to be fatal in a 10 kg George but it can make him sick as you are seeing. Vomiting back up the chocolate certainly decreases the toxic potential. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.
5- If he becomes severely lethargic to the point where he does not want to move or you notice: Muscle tremors, changes in respiration, etc. have him checked by ER veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions