Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our 5yr old cavapoo just ate one strip of these He's not

Our 5yr old cavapoo just ate one strip of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kool-Soothe-Migraine-Cooling-Strips/dp/B000KU954M
He's not vomited or unwell, but can you tell me if he'll be ok or need veterinary attention?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does he weigh?
2- How big was the strip? (site does not list size)

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He weighs about 11kg. The strip was about 12cm x 4cm.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Sally, the ingredients in the stip (water & methylparaben) are non toxic. The main concern would be the strip becoming obstructed in the gastrointestinal tract. But, for a 11 kg dog it is very likely he will be able to pass it in the stool without any problem. This is what you can do:

1- Change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the strip out in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract.

2- Make sure you check the stool for the strip. If you do not see the strip within 48 hours I would have him checked by family veterinarian for xrays with barium (contrast material).

3- If during the next 2-3 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter