Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

my dog has been on Apoquel for 12 months now but is now starting

Customer Question

my dog has been on Apoquel for 12 months now but is now starting to drink lots of water and pee more and short of breath
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. When a dog starts to drink more and urinate more, the question comes up for a metabolic issue as the cause for this. This shouldn't be a side effect of the Apoquel. What I'd want to rule out as a cause for the increased drinking and urination are:
1) Diabetes. If there has been weight loss along with this, then this has to be a high suspicion.
2) Cushing's disease. If there has been some rounding of the belly and possible thinning of the fur then this is highly suspect.
The best thing to do is to get to your vet to have them run some blood work on her to see if one of these may be going on and then what can be done for it.