Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

my lurcher is almost 16 and although has poor eyesight and

my lurcher is almost 16 and although has poor eyesight and hearing loves to go for a 20 min walk still and his appetite is good and still loves to be fussed.his problem is getting down,which he now has worked out o stoop then slide his front legs forward-he gets up much more easily.i give him half a paracetemol each day but i wonder what else i can do -his temprement is brilliant and loves being with us
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Randall is having trouble comfortably lying down, but pleased to hear that his attitude and appetite remain good. It sounds like he is still enjoying life even with the challenges he faces.
Long term for joint pain and stiffness I recommend using a combination of a glucosamine/chondroitin product (examples are Dasuquin or Cosequin) and an omega 3 fatty acid (like 3V Caps or Derm Caps).
I recommend an omega 3 fatty acid dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give him 20mg to 40mg of EPA per kilogram of body weight per day. For example a 30 kilogram dog could take 600mg to 1200mg of EPA per day. Omega 3's and glucosamine/chondroitins work synergistically and improve cartilage health and joint fluid quality and quantity as well as reducing inflammation. They can take several weeks to see full improvement but some dogs do very well with them alone. They are available over the counter.
Another option is a product called Duralactin. This is an anti-inflammatory product derived from milk proteins and it also has omega 3 fatty acids incorporated into it which can be very helpful. See this link for further information: http://www.duralactin.com/products_canine.htm
Other options that aren't medications and thus have no side effects include cold laser therapy, acupuncture and/or chiropractic care.
If that's not enough he should see his veterinarian for prescription drugs that are more potent than paracetemol. Veterinary drugs we can use include a nonsteroidal like Metacam, Deramaxx, Previcox or Rimadyl. If those aren't enough we can add another drug in the opiod family called Tramadol and/or another drug called Gabapentin. These drugs are much safer and more effective than paracetemol. Paracetemol used for any length of time will create gastrointestinal ulcers and liver disease.
Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you just a quick follow up,wht signs should I look for that he is in any discomfort,at the moment,other than a light sigh,he does not give ny indication of any pain

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
I suspect that he is a very stoic, optimistic fellow and is trying his best not to show any discomfort.
Signs of discomfort include changes in his personality (hiding rather than socializing with the family if he is normally a very social fellow or becoming clingy if he is normally very independent), inability to stay in one position or fidgeting, reluctance to get up, pacing, reluctance to engage in activities he normally enjoys, and whining.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

he does tend to stand and looks a little vacant as if he is "miles away" but readily responds to our voice-however, he does pace around a lot and wants to leave the room but comes back soon and then gets down again.As you would expect he sleeps a lot but is ready to follow us out into the garden- he is always affectionate and loves attention

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
So it does sound like your fellow has some mild symptoms of discomfort, and hopefully the things I suggested will help him feel a little more comfortable.
Of course at his age the pacing and vacant look may be signs of mild senility too. It is worth trying to treat him with supplements for discomfort and seeing how he responds.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.